“SHOOT YOUR EGO ALL OVER HER SHEETS.”
– Prince Rogers Nelson
Prince was not only a badass singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, dancer, and actor, but he was also a badass human being in every sense of the word. Incase we didn’t already know, his eccentric and innovative work in the music industry echoed his wild personality. Well known for timeless hits like “I Wanna Be Your Lover,” “Kiss,” “When Doves Cry,” and more, Prince Rogers Nelson has stood the test of time as one of the world’s best selling artists, dominating the genres of funk, rock, R&B, and more. His lyrics have always been prominently sexual; his demeanour, prominently provocative. As such, he secured his place as a prolific sex symbol and style icon in the world of pop music. Curious about some of the reasons why Prince is the most badass of them all? Here are just a few:
- Prince wrote his first song at age 7.
- Prince has changed his name at least 5 times. A clear sign that he’s comfortable with both himself and with change.
- One of these was an unpronounceable symbol in 1993.
- Another was “The Artist Formely Known As Prince.”
- Prince used to go door-to-door as a Jehovah’s Witness.
- Back when Prince was broke, he would chill outside of McDonald’s just to get a whiff of the food.
- Prince danced on stage with James Brown at age 10. It wasn’t until 1983 that Prince got the chance to dance with Brown again, this time with Michael Jackson too, at LA’s Beverly Theatre.
- Prince used to drive a white T-bird around North Minneapolis, the area with the highest concentration of crimes in all of Minneapolis. No fear, no shame.
- By age 19, Prince had recorded more than a handful of demos that were unsuccessful – it wasn’t until 1978 that he successfully recorded and released his debut album, For You. Persistency.
- Prince released 5 albums in the two-year period between 1994 and 1996 just to sneak his way out of contractual obligations with Warner Bros. Records, so he could finally sign to Arista Records in 1998. A master of evasion tactics.
Prince goes down in history as having sold 100 million records worldwide, having won seven Grammy Awards, one Golden Globe Award, and one Oscar, having been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, having been listed as Rolling Stone magazine’s “100 Greatest Artists of All Time,” and having an irreplaceable musical impact on millions of fans.
#prince #music #funk